Monday, February 2, 2009

Moses Sings and The "M" Word


There is single word that can sum up ninety percent of conversations in a multi-kid household. 

“MINE!”

And parents all over the world do all sorts of crazy things to avoid hearing that word. 

In America, many parents even spend twice as much at Christmas buying double of everything so each kid has their own version of said toy. 

This, of course, is laughable.  

For, as anyone who has tried this knows, the “M” word is still screamed over WHICH one belongs to which kid.  The only way to avoid this is by marking one of them with an identifier. 

Again. 

This is laughable. 

No kid wants the “damaged” toy (even if they can’t pronounce “damaged”). 

And so, “mine” is just a part of having more than one child. 

Truthfully, it was a part of our lives even when we only had Brehm.

He constantly wanted whatever was on MY dinner plate.

Though you could justifiably argue that, in that situation, we didn’t only have one child in our house.

I do find it interesting, though, that universally we all have that desire to guard and fight for what is ours. 

Which brings me to my quiet time this morning.

Lest you think I’m more spiritual than I am, “quiet time” here refers to me, with a cup of coffee and a bible, reading while my kids watch “Gofrette”, a terrible French-Canadian Public Television show. 

Not quite monkish solitude, but it’s what I’ve got.

So there I was, reading Deuteronomy 32.

This is the part of the Bible where Moses sings a song. 

Being a musician, I can relate.

And so Moses sings.

Around verse 8 he starts singing about how God gives the nations their allotted land. 

Truthfully, I tend to skim parts like this. 

It’s the Biblical equivalent of singing:

“To the North Dakotans you gave Fargo and to the Texans, The Country of Texas*”

But I didn’t skim it this morning.

And I’m glad I didn’t.

In verse 9, my mind got blown.

It says, “For the LORD’s portion is his people…”

I was stunned.

I’m God’s portion.

He says, “MINE” about me.

He fights for me.

He’s jealously protective of me.

He guards me as one of His own.

In the same way that nations are willing to battle over the land that is allotted them, God will battle for me. 

And yet, all these analogies fall short.

My kids say “mine” out of selfishness.

Nations war out of greed or pride.

Even my joke about North Dakota and Texas could raise speculation about who TRULY has claim to the land. Is it the Native Americans or us?

But God’s claim isn’t sullied by sin, ambition or questionable motivation.

There’s no room to wonder, “Who was here first?”

What He says belongs to Him, truly belongs to Him and He is Righteous and Just to destroy anyone or anything that tries to claim it for themselves.

That’s scary and comforting all at the same time.

And I think that it was meant to be.

 

*Anyone who has talked to a Native Texan about Texas will get how funny this is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think Gofrette is terrible and the bible is good? You've got things terribly backwards.

-a said...

Apparently you are a Gofrette fan....or Canadian....or both. :)