Monday, September 1, 2008

Traffic, Panzers, and Fruit


Today, I’m going home.  After three months away, I’m about to get on a plane bound for Tennessee knowing that I get to stay there for a while.  It’s a wonderful feeling.

Of course there are several hurdles I must jump before I can get there: Traffic, lines, and taxiing.  This post will start off sounding grouchy because all three of these hurdles are basically the same.  They all involve other people getting in the way of my going where I want to go.

The nerve. 

What’s the world coming to? 

I’m not one particularly prone to road rage but, when the desire to see my family is met with the stubborn donkey called Labor Day traffic, I find myself wishing I could tempt that donkey to move forward with a carrot. 

And by “carrot”, I mean “cattle prod attached to a Panzer tank”. 

And then, once the traffic donkey has been slain and sent to the glue factory, I have to contend with airport security lines. 

This is where I shine. 

You see, I’ve flown more since 9/11 than I ever did before and so I know the drill.

I try to act nonchalant as I take off my shoes.  I thank the security personnel for keeping me safe and I truly mean it.  I allow myself to be funneled into the nylon-strap, security switchback that makes me think of Disney Land…except less fun.  And I make sure that I’m not carrying any of the prohibited items listed on the obviously posted signage. 

It’s this last point that is often the source of my frustration. 

Not because I’ve ever had to throw away a fifty dollar bottle of cologne, but because other people have to do that.  And that makes the line move slower.

I’m on my way to see my family and, of course, I wind up behind the one person with thigh-high lace up boots, a steel plate replacing their left-side ribs and a complete case of soda in their carry-on bag. 

So I wait, inwardly cursing. 

Yes.  Even worship leaders struggle with that sometimes. 

Then, after the security lines, comes the Southwest boarding line.  These I don’t mind because, in general, Southwest customers are friendly and like to chat.  They’re also loyal and know what they’re doing.  But then, once we’re all packed like Vienna sausages on the plane, they pull away from the gate and then park on the tarmac. 

“This is the captain.  Uhhhhh…it looks like there are just a couple of planes ahead of us here so, it’s just be a few minutes before we’ll be ready for take-off.  For your comfort, I’m going to tell the flight attendants to strap into their seats, rendering them incapable of helping you,  and then I’ll turn of the air conditioning.  HAHAHAHAHAHHA (continued maniacal laughter).” 

Of course the second part of that isn’t true. 

I know several pilots and I don’t think any of them have maniacal laughs. 

Anyway, after that, we take off and I’m on my way home.  There’s just that little problem of time. 

For those of you not familiar, “time” is that pesky part of creation that involves things like waiting, and after three months away, I’m severely lacking in my ability to do that well.

In the Bible there are these things called “The Fruit of The Spirit”.  What that’s talking about is the characteristics that will be evident when God’s Spirit takes root or “indwells” in one’s heart.  While most of us don’t live in farming communities, it’s pretty much common sense that you don’t get apples from a peach tree.  Why?  Because the fruit will match the type of tree.

So what does this have to do with my waiting in lines and getting stuck in traffic? 

Let’s see if you can figure it out.  I’ll give you a hint. 

The Fruit of the Spirit are:  Love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 

Is there anything wrong with me wanting to see my family?  No.  In fact, I believe that desire is a good and godly thing.  It’s more of a longing than impatience. 

Is it wrong for me to get mad at everyone for the fact that they don’t step out of my way and let me pass, unhindered, through the lines?  More than likely…yes. 

Why is patience such a big deal? 

Because, impatience is all about pride.

It’s about me getting what I want, when I want it, regardless of anyone else. 

Sometimes this is subtle but, as I write this, I’m being convicted that it’s true. 

Patience requires me to step out of the center of my little universe and to look around.  It requires that I trust God and His timing for things.  It means that I stop trying to be god of my world and let God be the one in charge.  In a very real way, it’s about obeying the first commandment: You will have no other Gods before me.  And so, my godly longing to see my family runs into God’s sovereignty and that’s not even a fair fight. So I pray that, even though I’m counting the seconds, God will change me while I wait a little more. 

2 comments:

Old School Diver said...

OK, so how do you expect a God, who loves you and ALWAYS wants the best IN you to come OUT OF you, work out patience in you without allowing you to be in situations that "try" (read: as in precious metals 'tried' by fire) your current level of patience?!?!?

"Ohhh, is that it Father? You really want me to develop (as in a picture in a darkroom) these character qualities?"
"Yes, son, that's why James wrote that stuff about perseverance (1:2-4) and Paul talked about the same thing in the letter he wrote to those in Rome (5:3-5)."

I think that last text brings into play the One Who makes that fruit evident, huh? So what's the point?!?!?

Check it out:
Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him. After God made that decision of what his children should be like, he followed it up by calling people by name. After he called them by name, he set them on a solid basis with himself. And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun.

So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose?"


We CAN'T LOSE!!! Gotta love it!

Pilgrim feet said...

Absolutely love the Panzer thing. Much easier to display the fruit of the Spirit while driving a Panzer! Good having you up this summer. Sorry we didn't get to break bread, but this is your early invitation to come the next time you are here - family as well. Break out the Challah. Shabbat Shalom. PF-Out